Everybody Makes Mistakes

Nine steps to applying for a US Entry Waiver

If you have a criminal record you may not be able to cross the US border without a US Entry Waiver. Obtaining a US Entry Waiver is a complicated process that involves several steps.
  1. The first step is determining if you need a US Entry Waiver. If you have ever been denied entry to the US, you may already know that you need a waiver. However, if you have not been to the United States since your conviction you may have questions. Generally, you will not be able to enter the States if you have a drug conviction or a crime of “moral turpitude.” 
  2. Crime of “moral turpitude” is a fuzzy concept. You might need to call an expert like AllCleared (formerly Pardon Services Canada) to find out. Your first consultation is free. They will be able to tell you if your conviction requires a US Entry Waiver. 
  3. Once you have determined that you need the waiver, your next step should be to get your fingerprints taken in order to obtain the Certified Criminal Record. This is requested from the RCMP
  4. Once you have your criminal record, you can start to get your police checks and court documents. However, there is a faster way. If you do your application with AllCleared, we can start requesting yourdocuments right away due to our police partnerships. You don’t have to wait. This can save you up to four months.
  5. While you are waiting for your documents you can work on your supporting documents. You should include address history, references, employment information and a personal statement. You have lots of time to work on this while you are waiting for your documents.
  6. Fill out the forms. The application form is called I-192.
  7. Once you have compiled all your documents, you need to go to a border crossing or international airport. We will give you a list of places that will take your application. You may need to make an appointment. Pay the fee of $585.
  8. Wait. It can take up to nine months, but you should hear back within three to six months.
  9. A waiver is issued from six months to five years. You’ll need to renew it if you wish to keep travelling.

As you can see, the US Waiver is a complicated process. If you have time, you can do it yourself, but many people engage an agency, such as AllCleared, to ensure that all the steps are completed correctly.

If you want to start travelling to the United States, contact us today for a free consultation at 1-866-972-7366 or visit the website to book a free consultation. 

No comments: