Everybody Makes Mistakes

Travelling to the United States with a Criminal Record? Fast Facts

Information Canadian Criminal Record holders need to know if they want to travel to America.
Can I go to the U.S. if I have a Criminal Record or Police File?
  • You CAN NOT enter the U.S. legally if you have a Criminal Record in Canada
  • If you get checked at the U.S. border with a criminal record you will be denied entry.
  • If you get denied entry you will be flagged every time you try and cross the border in the future
What do I do if I want to go to the U.S. and have a Canadian Criminal Record?
  • You need to apply for a U.S. Entry Waiver, also known as a U.S. Travel Waiver.
  • This document must be obtained from the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, not the Canadian government
How long does a U.S. Waiver last? When Do U.S. Entry Waivers Expire?
  • A U.S. Entry Waiver application can be approved for either one, two or five years.
  • If you have ever been denied entry to the U.S. you will need this document every time you enter the U.S.
What happens when my U.S. waiver expires?
  • You can re-apply for the U.S. Entry Waiver after it expires
  • There is a possibility of getting a longer waiver on subsequent applications (e.g. going from a 1 year waiver to a 2 year, or even a 5 year on the second approved application)
How much does a U.S. waiver cost and how long does it take?
  •  A Standard U.S. Waiver can be obtained for $49.50 a month (over 10 months) and takes up to a year.
  •  A Premium U.S. Waiver can be obtained for $79.50 a month (over 10 months) and takes only 6 months.
      Where can I find additional information?

No comments: